Prom night is one of those special occasions that you never want to forget. Years afterwards, you’ll look back on your prom night photos and wonderful memories will come rushing back.
However, there can be lots of pressure to make sure you choose the right dress, the right shoes, the right hairstyle, the right everything! Getting your hair done right definitely contributes to the pre-prom jitters, but with a bit of planning, you can reduce your stress and focus on enjoying yourself!
Preparing For The Salon
- Book your appointment well in advance! There are likely plenty of other people in your area heading to prom, so hair stylists will be VERY busy. Don’t wait until the last minute to schedule your appointment. If your appointment is the day of your prom, make sure it’s several hours beforehand so that you have enough wiggle room to get ready.
- Bring a photo of your dress, shoes, and accessories so that your stylist has an idea of how to style your hair around your outfit.
- Bring any hair accessories that you’d like to pair with your prom dress so that your stylist can help you incorporate them properly.
- Don’t try anything drastically new. You don’t want to realize that you hate your new hair color a couple hours before prom starts!
Doing Your Hair Yourself
- If you’re doing your hair yourself, you have the benefit of being able to do a trial run days in advance. If you know exactly how you’ll be doing your hair, do it several days beforehand so that you can seamlessly recreate it on the day of prom.
- The same applies to products. Learn which products work for your hair type and hair style well in advance of your prom so that there aren’t any unwanted surprises before your special night.
- If necessary, prepare your hair the night before prom by washing, clarifying and removing any build-up that may prevent your hairstyle from looking amazing the next night.
- Be prepared! Bring along extra hair pins, small styling tools, travel-sized bottles with hair spray, and anything you may need to touch up your hair in the middle of the night.
- It may rain! Let’s face it, an umbrella isn’t the cutest prom night accessory, so it’s understandable if you’d rather not bring one. However, it takes no space to toss a shower cap in your bag for an unexpected rainy emergency.
- Enjoy your night! Focusing too much on your hairstyle can really put a damper on your special night. Your hair might be in a shambles before the night is over – but so what? Focus on having the time of your life, not on looking flawless for the entire night.